There are so many food trends out there, it’s difficult to stay ahead of the curve. But if you’re in the food industry, it’s important to keep yourself informed in order to take advantage of these trends. We recommend the following tips to stay on top of food trends in 2020:
● Update your news feed. In order to stay on top of food trends, we recommend being on social media every day and customizing your business’ news feeds on platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, so that you can quickly and easily scan through any relevant and trending topics. Use apps like Pocket to save articles to revisit and read later when you have time.
● Leverage your team. Your team should also have their ears and eyes to the ground so that they can stay on top of the newest food trends. Use a company-wide email or Slack channel for sharing information, findings, and articles about new food trends.
● Use SEO. Try using an SEO tool like Moz to enter keywords in the food industry and identify any emerging food trends or patterns in people’s search behavior. If a lot of different people are searching for a particular food item or trend on Google, it’s very likely trending or popular. Another great strategy is to check out niche terms that don’t necessarily have a ton of search volume now but likely will soon. Your food business could fill a gap in the market.
● Subscribe to food trade journals. Trade journals are one of the best ways to stay on top of trends in the industry. Do your research to determine the best trade journals to subscribe to and make sure to get on their lists and read the journals either online or in print. Then block out a time in your weekly or monthly calendar to read through those journals.
● Subscribe to food magazines. In addition to trade journals, you could also gain some info and knowledge from consumer magazines or other modes of consumption, like TV shows, documentaries, or podcasts related to food. You will likely find something relevant to your line of work that might spark an insight or idea for your own food business.
● Remember to network. There are so many local networking events, conferences, training, and social media groups committed to helping you network with peers, colleagues, and experts in the food industry.
● Engage with your customers. You can also learn a lot from engaging with your customers and soliciting their feedback through surveys or reviews. You can also respond to customers’ posts on your social media platforms in order to see the food industry from your customers’ perspective.
● Keep an eye on your competitors. If you think that you have found a new food trend but you aren’t sure if it’s something that will actually catch on and sell, then observe what your competitors are doing. Keeping an eye on your competitors can help you capitalize on new food trends and opportunities.