Facebook blocks all accounts and ads related to the Myanmar military
Social media Facebook is taking firm steps regarding the situation in Myanmar. As of this Thursday, February 25, 2021, they blocked all accounts and advertisements from companies that have ties to the Myanmar Military.
In a press statement, Facebook said the decision was taken after considering the development of the situation in Myanmar recently. One of them is acts of violence during protests that have killed several Myanmar citizens.
"We view the situation in Myanmar as a state of emergency and this blockade was triggered by the violence that occurred there," Facebook explained.
This is not the first time Facebook has blocked accounts associated with the Myanmar military. Previously, they had carried out a number of blocks against accounts of the military pro junta or accounts owned by military officials. One of them is the account of the Military Commander, General Min Aung Hlaing.
Facebook has also blocked two accounts of Myanmar television stations, Myawaddy TV and MRTV. Myawaddy is a station run by the Myanmar Military while MRTV is a state-owned television station. Both are often used by the Myanmar military to spread disinformation.
The funny thing is, throughout the coup, the Myanmar military also tried to block Facebook and other social media. It failed. Myanmar citizens cheat by using a VPN. The Myanmar military then tried to limit it by turning off the internet connection.
In 2017, Facebook was criticized for being too slow to respond to the Myanmar military's disinformation campaign on social media. At that time, the Myanmar military was in the spotlight for human rights violations committed against the Rohingya ethnic group.
UN: American Report on Khashoggi's Murder Will Help Investigate
United Nations (UN) expert, Agnes Callamard, supports America in publishing intelligence reports about the murder of Jamal Khashoggi. According to Callmard, this will help complete the investigation and provide justice for the journalist's family from Saudi Arabia.
"Once we have new evidence, it will be difficult for other countries to rule out whatever new information is," said Callamard, who is a UN legal expert, quoted by Al Jazeera, Thursday, February 25, 2021.
Previously, the administration of President Joe Biden was rumored to be releasing a US intelligence report regarding the murder of Jamal Khashoggi this Thursday US time. The report is predicted to prove that Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman, approved of Khashoggi's murder in 2018
The publication of the report is believed by various parties to be Biden's plan to reorganize relations with Saudi Arabia. Joe Biden, during the US Presidential Election campaign, several times criticized the record of human rights violations in Saudi Arabia. The Jamal Khashoggi case is one that has caught the attention of Joe Biden.
Khashoggi himself is a Saudi Arabian journalist who is also a contributor to the Washington Post. He was declared dead in 2018 and then disappeared without a trace. His last appearance was when he entered the consulate of Saudi Arabia in Turkey, Istanbul. The news has been circulating that he was ambushed inside the consulate and then killed by a special team connected to Mohammed bin Salman.
"For the sake of American accountability and democracy, the intelligence report must be made public," said Callamard.
White House spokesman, Jen Psaki, confirmed that the Joe Biden administration will certainly release an intelligence report on the murder of Jamal Khashoggi. However, he could not provide a clear timeline other than "as soon as possible"
Joe Biden, separately, also affirmed his commitment to open intelligence reports related. He has read the contents and will report it to King Salam bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, the father of Prince Salman. Prince Salman has repeatedly denied that he ordered or was indirectly involved in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.
Last year, a Saudi Arabian court overturned the death sentences imposed on five convicted of the murder of senior journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The death sentence was previously handed down in 2018.
Vitoria Bueno, Ballerina with Disabilities Attracts YouTube Viewers
Being born without hands did not dampen the mentality of Vitoria Bueno, 16, in pursuing her dream as a ballerina. This Brazilian woman went viral on social media after a video of her ballet dancing appeared on YouTube.
"We are more than just people with disabilities, we have to pursue our dreams," said Vitoria Bueno as quoted by the Daily Mail, Sunday, February 14, 2021. Vitoria has captivated YouTube viewers all over the world because she is able to dance perfectly.
Vitoria has more than 150 thousand followers on Instagram and thousands of subscribers on YouTube after regularly posting its videos on the social media platform. The girl who lives in Minas Gerais, Brazil, recounts the beginnings of ballet dancing as therapy, not for her. Vitoria's physiotherapist suggested practicing ballet because she knew Vitoria was talented in the world of sports.
Vitoria Bueno was detected without arms since she was pregnant. His mother, Wanda Bueno, still gave birth to him and vowed to support all of his baby's dreams, including bringing little Vitoria to a ballet studio. Wanda Bueno realized that Vitoria's physical condition would become a social uproar in the neighborhood.
"People always want to see him. I was so curious that they lined up in line," said Wanda Bueno. If people used to line up to find out what Vitoria's condition was like, now they are lining up to see the teenager dancing ballet and amazed at her ability.
In daily life, Vitoria Bueno replaces the function of the hands with feet. He used to make calls, brush his teeth, put on makeup on his feet. Her dancing tealenta was admired as well as a historical record for Andrea Falsarella's ballet studio in Santa Rita do Sapucai.
Ghana Becomes the First Country to Receive the Covid-19 Vaccine from the COVAX Program
Ghana became the first country to receive WHO's Covid-19 vaccine distribution program, COVAX, on Wednesday.
The flight carrying 600,000 doses of the AstraZeneca / Oxford vaccine produced by the Serum Institute of India landed in the capital of Ghana, Accra.
Local representatives for WHO and the UN children's agency UNICEF called the arrival of the vaccine an "important" step.
"In the days to come, frontline workers will start receiving vaccines, and the next phase in fighting this disease can begin - the largest increase in immunization campaigns in history," said UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore.
The delivery comes eight months after the launch of the COVAX initiative, which aims to raise funds from wealthy and non-profit countries to fairly distribute the coronavirus vaccine around the world.
The COVAX vaccine scheme, part of an early stage for low- and middle-income countries, will be used by Ghana to start a vaccination program starting March 2 that will prioritize healthcare workers
Joe Biden to Reveal Mohammed bin Salman's Involvement in Khashoggi Murder
- In traditional administration-swaps, the bulk of the cleaning, while thorough, is done predominantly by White House staff -- housekeepers, butlersswafsawf